Mohammed Salisu is not ready for a Premier league start – Ralph Hasenhuttl

Posted by

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl has revealed that new signee Mohammed Salisu is not fit yet to start a Premier league game.

Mohammed Salisu earlier this summer sealed a £10.9 million move from Real Valladolid to Southampton, but missed out on the club’s opening day fixture against Crystal Palace at the Selhurst park.

According to Ralph Hasenhuttl, the 21-year-old is not fully fit to make his debut.

“It may take a few more weeks, maybe [to break into the starting set-up]. After the next international break [in October], I hope to have him in the first eleven. He has good drive and is a very ambitious guy”, Hasenhuttl told Hampshire Live. 

“He is working hard on his fitness at the moment after a long break from injury and there are a few issues we must work on but you can see his physicality.” 

The Southampton manager added that Salisu is part of the club’s long-term project and is a perfect acquisition. 

“The potential he has is amazing and he wants to learn quickly. He is exactly the type of player that we need to have here,” Hasenhuttl said.

“We have very clear and strict limits on any transfer we make. We have to have a player that really likes to come to us for money we can spend.

“If we find such a player then I am sure he will enjoy it and develop very quickly when he is with us.

“He will not be a short-term project, he will be more of a long-term project. Therefore I think he was a fantastic transfer.”

If everything Ralph Hasenhuttl has said is to go by, then Mohammed Salisu is expected to make his Premier League debut against Chelsea at the Stamford Bridge on October 17.

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.