Kotoko march on against Karela on Independence Day

Posted by

Karela welcomed Asante Kotoko to the Akoon Park for the first fixture of match week 13. The home side came into the game at the back of a 1-0 loss to Liberty Professionals in Dansoman, whiles Kotoko came into the game at the back of 3-1 victory against Bechem United.

Asante Kotoko started the game brightly and opened the scoring in the first minute of the game. William Opoku Mensah received a good pass from Emmanuel Gyamfi, he controlled the ball beautifully with his chest and slotted it past the goalkeeper. 1-0 to Asante Kotoko.

Karela didn’t let their heads drop, they started to see more of the ball and nearly pulled level in the 10th minute, Diawisie Taylor latched on a stray pass inside the 18 yard box, but his effort was blocked by Imoro Ibrahim for a corner. The resulting corner kick was wasted.

Karela continued to push men forward, Kwame Boateng and Samuel Frimpong came close to leveling matters for Karela.

Diawisie Taylor in the 35th minute came close to leveling matters once again. He received a good pass from Emmanuel Keyekeh at the edge of the box and tried the spectacular, but goalkeeper Kwame Baah was alert as he grabbed the ball with ease.

Kotoko nearly made it 2 few minutes later, William Opoku headed a cross from Emmanuel Gyamfi into the path of Martin Antwi whose goal-bound shot was blocked by Godfred Yeboah.

Karela continued pushing and had the chance to try Kwame Baah once more from the freekick just at the end of the first half. Kwame Baah was equaled to the task, he palmed Emmanuel Keyekeh‘s free kick away for a corner.

The first half ended 1-0. Kotoko lead.

Karela started the second half just like they finished the first. Diawisie Taylor and Godfred Yeboah came the closest.

It was time for the Prodigal son to come on. Maxwell Konadu brought on Songne Yacouba for goal scorer William Opoku Mensah. Songne Yacouba nearly made it 2 with his first touch, he received a pass from Mudasiru Salifu from halfway inside Karela’s center-half after making a decent run behind the Karela defense, his first time shot was blocked by the on rushing goalkeeper Tijani Ahmed for a corner, the resulting corner was cleared away.

The game was gradually becoming a straight battle between goalkeeper Kwame Baah and Diawisie Taylor, Diawisie Taylor latched on a loose ball just at the edge of the box and struck a beautiful low shot which was saved by Kwame Baah once again.

Karela continued pushing forward and were awarded with two late free kicks just the edge of the box. The first effort from Shaibu Iddrisu deflected off the human wall for a corner. The second was sent into the box but was eventually cleared away after a scramble in the box.

The referee after 5 minutes of time added on brought proceedings to an end. Kotoko record a 1-0 victory through William Opoku’s early strike.

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *