The 25th Ordinary Congress, which is the first Ordinary Congress under new GFA President Kurt Okraku took place at Ghanaman Soccer of Excellence in Prampram.
Before the main event of the day began, the GFA President gave the opening address. He used the opportunity to remind all persons at the event his aim and motive for Ghana football, “My election was not a personal victory, but a responsibility to change the game, ignite passion and create wealth for all”, he also went on to call on all stakeholders to support this course, “Let me once again call on all stakeholders that, collectively, we have a job to do. Let’s all come together and push towards the same direction to change the game, ignite passion and create wealth for everybody”. The GFA President also revealed that GFA will have an Extraordinary Congress in February 2020 to discuss issues that are not on today’s agenda.
The main events of the day then began and these are some key notes from the Congress:
• General Secretary of GFA Alex Asante delivered the GFA’s Activity Report to Congress. He also took congress through events from June 6, 2018 up to date.
• A motion was tabled for Congress to approve nominations for members of Judicial Committees of the GFA.
• Congress observed a minute’s silence for football personalities who passed away since the last Ordinary session
• Congress voted unanimously to approve proposals for members of the Judicial Committees namely: Disciplinary Committee, Appeals Committee, Ethics Committee and Elections Committee.
• Auditors took Congress through the accounts of the GFA under the Normalisation Committee.
• Congress approved the 2018 audited accounts of the GFA under the Normalisation Committee.
• Congress also voted to amend the statutes on relegation and promotion. Instead of 5 clubs being relegated from the Ghana Premier League, 3 clubs will now be relegated and 3 clubs will also be promoted to the Premier League from Division One.
• Upper East Region FA Chairman, Alhaji Salifu Zida was elected to the Executive Council of the GFA as the second representative of the RFAs. He was sworn in as a member of the Executive Council. Alhaji Zida becomes Chairman of the Referees Committee of the GFA. That ended the activities of the day.
The new Ghana Premier League season will be launched tomorrow the 20th of December, 2019 at the Accra Sports Stadium at 5pm. The new football season begins between the weekends of 27th – 29th December 2019.