Hearts stunned by Berekum Chelsea in Accra

Posted by

After months without Premier league football, the Premier league is finally back and the center of attention was the Ohene Djan Sports Stadium, Accra Hearts of Oak took on Berekum Chelsea. The game commenced at 3pm, with 8 other games kicking off at the same time across the country.

Accra Hearts of Oak started the game brightly, having most of the ball but failing to make good use of it. After the first 20 minutes, the tempo of the game slowed, both teams giving the balls away in midfield many times.

The game came to life in the 34th minute when winger Jonah Attuquaye went past Larry Sumaila and curled in a brilliant shot. Accra Hearts of Oak goalkeeper Richmond Ayi had a hand to the ball, but it wasn’t enough to stop the ball from hitting the back of the net.

Berekum Chelsea in the 44th minute had the ball at the back of the net for the second time in the first half only for the referee to cut celebration short by whistling for an offside. The goal was cancelled as the score remained 1-0.

Dominic Eshun for Hearts and Emmanuel Owusu for Chelsea were carded before the half time break for rough challenges.

The first half ended 1-0 in favor of the visitors through a sublime finish from Jonah Attuquaye.

Heart of Oak started the second half just like they started the first. The phobians came close when Randy Ovouka’s shot was saved by Black Meteors goalkeeper Ibrahim Danlad.

Coach Kim Grant made the first sub of the game when he took of midfielder Aminu Alhassan and brought on striker Kofi Kordzi. Kofi Kordzi’s arrival changed the game completely as Hearts of Oak started to mount serious pressure on their opponents.

League debutant Dominic Eshun had a game to forget as he was subbed off in the 80th minute for academy graduate Manaf Umar.

Kofi Kordzi continued to terrorize the Berekum Chelsea defense with his immense strength on the ball as his deflected shot from the edge of the box in the 81st minute struck the post.

The Hearts of Oak fans couldn’t hide their frustrations. They started to howl and bawl.

Right back Larry Sumaila who had a horrendous game had his moment in the 89th minute when he weaseled his way through the Berekum Chelsea defense and tried a shot, but goal keeper Ibrahim Danlad was alert again to thwart the effort away for a corner. The resulting corner from Captain Fatawu Mohammed resulted into nothing.

The referee added 5 minutes of regulation time, but the Phobians couldn’t make good use of it as the game ended 1-0 in favor of the visitors.

Berekum Chelsea will play their next game at home to Liberty Professionals next weekend whiles the Phobians travel to Tarkwa to face Medeama.


Hearts of Oak 0-1 Berekum Chelsea

Aduana Stars 4- 0 Inter Allies

Kotoko 1-0 Eleven Wonders

AshantiGold SC 3-0 Olympics

Bechem Utd 2- 0 Elmina Sharks

Dreams FC 4- 1 King Faisal FC

Ebusua Dwarfs 1-3 Medeama SC

Karela Utd 0-1 WAFA SC

Liberty Professionals 2-2 Legon Cities

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *