The Round of 16 of the 2022 Qatar World Cup is nearly upon us. 14 teams have secured a place in the round, with 2 more places up from grasp for a team in Group G and Group H.
Here we take a look at what the teams from the two groups will need to advance or secure top spot in their respective groups.
Ghana vs Uruguay
Portugal vs South Korea (Both games to be played at 3:00 pm)
Brazil vs Cameroon
Serbia vs Switzerland (Both games to be played at 7:00 pm)
What do the teams need to advance or secure top spot in their respective groups
Portugal joined the Round of 16 with their 2-0 win over Uruguay on Monday, though the rest of the group is still wide open.
• Portugal need just a draw against South Korea to top the group.
• Ghana will qualify if they beat Uruguay on Friday. If they draw, they must hope Portugal beat South Korea. If South Korea do beat Portugal by more than one goal, they will take second spot on goal difference.
• South Korea must beat Portugal and hope that Ghana either draw or lose against Uruguay. And even then, it’ll come down to goal difference.
• Uruguay have to win against Ghana and hope Portugal beat South Korea. If Portugal lose, Uruguay have to beat Ghana by more than South Korea beat Portugal.
Brazil’s win over Switzerland put the five-times world champions through with a game to spare. The Swiss, having also picked up a win in their first game, are most likely to follow suit. But Cameroon and Serbia both still stand a chance after their entertaining draw did neither any real favours.
• Brazil will need a draw against Cameroon to secure top spot.
• Switzerland will qualify if they beat Serbia, or by drawing with Serbia if Cameroon fail to win against Brazil.
• Cameroon will qualify if they beat Brazil, and Serbia win or draw against Switzerland, depending on goal difference.
• Serbia will guarantee a spot in the next round if they beat Switzerland, and Brazil beat Cameroon. If Cameroon do manage to beat Brazil, it’ll come down to goal difference.